ONE OF THE MOST COVERED (AND GREATEST) POP TUNES OF ALL TIMES!

I'M NOMINATING "AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH" AS OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM (OUR REAL ONE IS TOO HARD TO SING ANYWAY!)

(I apologize for the commercials but since you can't snatch any music videos from YouTube anymore (Sony seems to own the copyright to every single song ever sung by humankind) these were the best I could find. Let me know if there's a better source.)

MARVIN AND TAMMY



I'd have to say that this 1967 version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is probably my favorite.  The site of the video is the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows, New York.  Marvin and Tammi were certainly among the very best of couples who sang duets.  I was in college when it was released and I was deeply saddened at the death of Tammi in 1970.  Marvin died in 1984.



MICHAEL McDONALD



A particularly  soulful version from Michael McDonald accompanied by the song's genius authors (the duo has penned literally hundreds of top pop songs) Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson. (Towards the end is another Tammi/Marvin smash hit, "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing.")



DIANA ROSS



From a 1973 live performance in London, Miss Diva Diana Ross shows how it's done.  I saw Ms. Ross live in an outdoor amphitheater in 1970 and understood immediately the reason for the "Diva" label.  



DIANA ROSS ALBUM VERSION





The album by the same name, was released in 1970, and became Diana's first Billboard No. One song after she began her solo career sans The Supremes.  This version is so lush, so spiritual and just so damned good it is my favorite. Or no, it's Tammi and Marvin's.  Damn! I can't decide. Oh, hell I love them both. 

There are so many versions of this song.  In fact just last week on The Voice contestants Mark Hood and Celeste Betton belted out a particularly joyous rock version of the song.  I had snatched it from DailyMotion but it got snagged by the copyright police. You can see it here though:  

The Voice


Have a great day!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS: THE TRUMP/PUTIN LOVE CHRONCILES

REAL LIFE STORY OR REAL LIFE HOAX?

HOW THE PORTRAYAL OF LIBERAL AMERICANS BY THE RIGHT WING MEDIA REFERENCES THE JIM CROW MOVEMENT