EMPLOYEES PAYING MORE FOR HEALTH INSURANCE




The Disaster That is Obamacare

Thus read a headline in this morning’s paper.  The top one, that is.  The sub-headline immediately above is my own. 

Yes, I am well acquainted with rising health care costs having been in business for nearly 20 years and wrangling with health insurance providers on an annual basis.  Of course, that the Tea Party and the right wingers will blame Obama and the ACA for rising costs goes without saying.  After all they’ve been predicting all sorts of disasters since the adoption of Obamacare in 2009.  But wait: here’s the bottom line take-away from today's article: 

“Based on a survey of 2000 firms, the average cost of an employer-sponsored family health plan reached $16, 384 this year, up 3% from the previous year…”

UP 3%?  What?

Damn!  While surely any increase is more costly to American families, 3% is way less than the increased cost of a Ribeye steak over the past year.   And $19 a pound for shrimp for God’s sake?  Where does it come from?  Mars?  I don’t have any data regarding the hike in beef or shrimp prices over the past year except for what my own personal grocery shopping trips tell me.   But in nearly twenty years of having to deal with the complicated mess that is our health care system, I cannot recall a single year over that twenty year period that insurance premiums rose a mere 3%.  Six percent (6%), if my memory serves me correctly, was pretty much the lowest annual increase the firm and our employees had to absorb.  I mostly remember annual increases of between 10% and 12% and a couple of years when it was even higher.  Breaking through the fog that is my memory today in 2014, is an 8% figure but trust me, it was NEVER 3%. 


So for all the predicted disasters that would befall America with the enactment of the Affordable Care Act – you know, the loss of millions of jobs, forcing hundreds of thousands of businesses out of business, the bankrupting of ordinary American’s due to skyrocketing insurance premiums, etc. – it would seem that the impact of Obamacare has not resulted in any of the right wing’s predicted effects. 

I mean, come on, 3%?  Would that food prices and gas prices increased a mere 3% over the past year.  I, for one, would be ecstatic. 

Have a good day!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REAL LIFE STORY OR REAL LIFE HOAX?

INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS: THE TRUMP/PUTIN LOVE CHRONCILES

SHE SHOWED HIM HERS, HE SHOWED HER HIS. AND HE GOT BUSTED!